BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Eco-Friendly Fence for $8

Overview: This fence was inspired by this huge pile of brush that has been sitting in front of our house for a few weeks now screaming to be cleaned up. We cut down part of a tree because it was growing into our 4-plex apartment and are waiting to cut another one down. Meanwhile in front of our apartment there used to be two metal posts with rope running the length between them (28 feet) to keep students from crossing into our yard on the way to their apartments. I thought that the roped fence was not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye as one with a pattern (no offense to the previous tenants) and I had a lot of brush that I could use so why not? It only cost me a few hours and $6 worth of rope. Plus when it snows all of the surrounding area will be covered in white with a few brown sticks sticking straight up. How Cool!



Here are all of the branches that I cut into different sizes to make a fence that had a wave pattern. This was the easy part. I laid out all of the sticks in their appropriate places according to size and then spaced them out eight inches. I then wrapped the rope around each branch four times and tied the very ends.

Once we hung the fence up between the two posts, I pounded two 5 ft long pieces of rebar as additional supports.

Here it is in all its glory! I do have to thank my friend Scott and my wife for helping me put this up because it was definitely not a one person job. Plus, if I hadn't done this then I all of those branches would've ended up in a compost or as mulch for gardener Jane.

To see what else I was able to build with parts of that tree click here: Log Bench

3 comments: