BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bird Feeder

Overview: If you have kids or just enjoy bird watching, have I got a deal for you! This is a very easy, inexpensive, and fun item to build. It does not take very much time either and you and/or your children will love it.

Interesting Fact: Recently I was out talking with my neighbors, filling up the bird feeder and I asked them where the wasp traps were that used to be hanging up on the trees where their children play. They told me that they didn't even need the wasp traps anymore because the all the birds kept them away by feeding nearby. So if you have a flying insect problem, maybe this bird feeder will keep them away.

Please note that I actually made three of these bird feeders at the same time so that is why everything is actually three times as much as you really need. I bought the wood at Home Depot for a good price.

Please also note that I took all of these pictures with my cell phone since I forgot to bring my wife's camera with me so they aren't as clear as my usual posts.

Lime Light: I need to give a special thanks to my wife's family in Texas for taking some wonderful pictures for me of some birds eating at the feeder. Those pictures are posted at the end.


I started out by cutting the back of the bird feeder. I did not follow any blueprints, I simply envisioned the size that I wanted and went from there.


I then cut what will be the sides of the bird feeder measuring the same height as the back. You only need two of these for one bird feeder.


Here are all of the sides for all 3 bird feeders.


I then cut what would be the base of the bird feeder making sure that it was the same width as the back piece.


Before I attached any pieces of wood together I used my router to make a thin slit the length of the side pieces so as to make an area of my Plexiglas to slide in.

I then drew an area for the bird seed to go underneath the Plexiglas making it big enough for the birds to reach the seed and used my router to carve this box out. Don't worry! It does not have to be a perfect rectangle. This is just a bird feeder. The birds won't care if it isn't perfect.

I then used a table saw or a router to cut notches into the sides and back piece so as to make a better fit. I would suggest using a router because it is easier to make the cuts more exact. I used a table saw since I didn't have the right bit.

I then used glue and a nail fun to attach all of the pieces together and let it dry for maybe 30 minutes.


I wanted to get a little fancy so I used another bit with my router to make a decorative edge the height of the bird feeder.

I then took it to my compound miter saw and made a bevel cut that would slope down from the back to the front so as to have a place to attach the roof.

I cut another piece of wood that I used for the roof and attached it to the bird feeder by drilling two holes in the top of the bird feeder and two holes in the lid and gluing two pieces of a dowel rod into the holes of the bird feeder making sure that they stick out for the lid holes to lay over.

I then sanded everything to make all of the edges smoother and to make it better able to take a stain.

I then used a pre-stain conditioner and a golden oak stain.

While the stain was drying, I cut some Plexiglas using a utility knife scoring it a lot, over and over and over again until it would snap in the right place.




I then attached two hooks to the back of the bird feeder and ran some wire from one to the other tying the ends to each hook. I put a nail in a tree and then hung it up.

And here it is in all its glory! Come and get em' birdies!

You can get bird seed at WalMart, any pet store, or any farming store. I bought 5 pounds of bird seed at a farming store for $3.49. You will not break the bank with this project.






There is a male and a female in this picture. The red is the male and the gray is the female.


Two males maybe fighting over who will stay with the female?

Ordering: Would you like to have a bird feeder for your own home? These feeders are lightweight and make excellent gifts for any occasion. I will even throw in a bag of bird seed for FREE with each purchase!

Cost: $10.00 + Shipping and Handling

Email to Place an Order: sloandaja@gmail.com

Upon emailing me, I will send you an email with further instructions on how to submit payment and when you can expect to receive your item.

2 comments: