BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, April 24, 2009

Pillows......Say What??!!

Overview: Well, I really wanted to learn how to sew and we were able to get this fabric at a pretty great price. i also didn't want to spend a lot of money so this ended up saving us a lot of $$$. For the two pillows and batting we spent $12-$15.

I made these pillows without a pattern but for some people it may be harder to visualize how the piece will turn out so a pattern is very helpful. Either or, if it is your first time, it might be a little challenging so it is nice to have someone there to show/coach you. Patience will be a great quality too look for in whomever you choose to teach you. Mothers are especially great.

Lime Light: I would like to thank Jenny B. for teaching me how to sew and also for letting me use her sewing machine. She was wonderfully patient with me as well. I would also like to say that my wife was the one who picked out this really cool fabric.

Start out by cutting your fabric to the desired lengths and widths. We chose a square pattern of 22" on both sides. Make sure and have some sort of cutting board underneath if you are using anything that can scratch the surfaces.




While we were at the fabric store we also got a product called "Interfacing" which you iron on and adds a lot of strength to the fabric.


I didn't want to have flat square pillows so I sewed a strip of fabric 3" wide along all edges to give it a nicer big feel.


This is Jenny helping me iron on the Interfacing while I sew.


Start out by turning all of your fabric inside out and pinning them so that as you sew, the fabric won't move causing you to mess up.


This is me sewing the 3" pieces onto the front piece.


Once you sew all of the sides, front, back, you need to leave a little gap to pull all of the fabric through so that it is right side out and also to use as an access spot to fill your pillow with batting.


We then bought some batting at Walmart for $3.00 a bag and used one bag per pillow. Be careful because the bags are very deceiving in their content. We bought four of them for two pillows and only used two for both pillows. You then stitch the holes up and there you have it.


Ta-Da! Now you are ready to really Relax on your couch or bed.

3 comments:

  1. That fabric is really freaking cute! I must admit I'm slightly disappointed though, I thought I was going to get to see your couch! You are making a couch aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. shoot, you can do like anything.
    How does it feel to officailly be a seamster?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have cool cousins. I don't think I've ever seen a guy learn to sew pillows on a whim. Nice work! That fabric's also pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete